Search This Blog

Thursday, February 19, 2009

HARTFORD SCHOOLS BUDGET CUTS

More on this as I have time to put my thoughts together, but after reading and hearing about budget cuts and layoffs at the Hartford schools, it makes me wonder what the primary function of the Hartford school system is.

I may be over simplifying this, but I feel that job number one of any school system is educating its students. To that end, I also feel that the most important tool to achieving that is qualified teachers. Yet, here in Hartford we are laying teachers off while at the same time we are keeping the media people employed.If the numbers presented in Helen Ubinas' blog are accurate, which I believe they are, $219,000 is spent for two positions in the "Communications Department" for Nancy Benben and David Medina, both former Hartford Courant employees. In addition, Kelvin Roldan, a former Perez staffer and State Representative, was recently handed a $99,000 a year position with the school system, for what is any ones guess. There are many more positions that should be looked at before one teacher, guidance counselor or teacher's aid is laid off.

The business of the Hartford Schools should be educating students, not rewarding people beholding to Mayor Perez.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Benben is a waste of money. She has nothing to do.