Search This Blog

Friday, January 8, 2010

THIS IS GETTING UGLY



PICTURED ABOVE, HARTFORD DEMOCRATIC TOWN CHAIRPERSON AND NEW CANAAN TAXPAYER SEAN P. ARENA

After having the police called on me yesterday while I was trying to obtain documents from the Democratic Registrar of Voters, I quickly realized that toes were being stepped on.

Then this morning I read cityline on courant.com and read the comment that essentially said I was a racist and had a problem with latino and "AA" women. I assume they abbreviated "AA" to mean African-American, maybe they didn't know how to spell it. The other "AA" wouldn't make any sense.

I started to wonder how you would defend yourself against an "anonymous" charge of racism. But then I realized that anyone who knows me would probably say that I was color blind when it comes to dealing with people, and my actions hopefully speak louder than any statement of defense would.

Then I get a phone call from Steve Goode, a reporter at the Courant. He claimed that "someone" had sent him copies of outstanding Personal Property Tax bills for my business. For those who follow this blog, you are well aware that when I use documents I double and triple check their authenticity.

One of the reasons for numerous FOI requests is to get the original documents right from the source. I have many good sources that send me numerous documents, but before I will use them , I verify that they are accurate. I will typically not use a document from a "single source". I make it a point to verify it.

Well, apparently the spineless, I mean "anonymous", source who sent the Courant the bills, never bothered to verify if they were accurate. They are not accurate. In their haste, they failed to check and realize that the bills were being sent to an address I have not had an office at for several years. When I contacted the Assessors Office, I spoke with a person who was more than accommodating. Unlike the Democratic Registrar, this person was actually a credit to the City and understood customer service.

She asked for my number and said she would look into it. Being the City of Hartford, I thought "ok, I won't hold my breath waiting for that call, this will be a battle".If my phone log is accurate, within seven minutes she called back and the issue was on the way to being resolved.

She had verified that the building had been sold, my business had apparently not been there and subject to the taxes in question. She further apologized for the mistake and vowed to work with me to rectify it. She advised me what she would need to reverse the bills and within minutes, it seemed to be worked out.

She apologized a couple more times and explained that due to the lack of staff, returned mail just goes into boxes and no one researches it. She said they used to but just can't anymore. I appreciated her apologies, but told her it's not her fault. She was definitely a breath of fresh air when it came to someone on the city level being helpful.I will admit there were probably mistakes on both sides, but unlike the Arena's, nothing even remotely criminal.

To those who wish to sling mud and discredit me, I called the Assessor within minutes after Steve Goode made me aware of it. Has Sean or Ralph Arena contacted the New Canaan Assesor to clear up their problem. I would bet they haven't. I have given Sean Arena the opportunity to present his side, so far the call hasn't been returned.

Some people might question why I would keep pushing on issues like this and is it making any change. Anyone who knows me knows I'm pretty mellow, but once you get the "Irish" up, watch out. The Perez Administration and others involved in city politics have tried to silence me and discredit me, but rest assured, I will live in a cardboard box in Bushnell Park before anyone forces me out of Hartford or into silence.

And for those who tell me to "get a life", this is a large part of my life, but not the only part. And just a word of advice, contact the last person who told me to "get a life" and ask how that worked out for her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kevin your great keep up the good work! If living your life is bringing honesty to what they think is good government we should all live this way. Keep up the good work:)

THE KING said...

This is great...keep going after these cheaters

Anonymous said...

I made a deal with the Mayor in lieu of taxes....I am his political servant...