Search This Blog

Sunday, March 7, 2010

A NO POLITICS, NO CORRUPTION POSTING...JUST SOME IRISH HOSPITALITY


As the high holiday for many, even those that aren't Irish, approaches, I wanted to pass on part of an Irish tradition.

My grandmother used to always make her Irish Soda Bread, and not just at Saint Patrick's Day. The recipe has been passed down, and I have never tasted another version that compares. I know I'm biased, but there were at least two things I always looked forward to around St. Patrick's day and Lent. My grandmother's Irish bread and hot cross buns. My mother always did a good job also with baking the Irish bread and took up the baking duties when my grandmother couldn't.

The key to her recipe was cooking it in a cast-iron skillet I think. I've tried it in glass cookware and it never seems the same. And don't forget the butter to eat it with.

HAPPY SAINT PATRICK'S DAY AND DON'T FORGET THE PARADE NEXT WEEKEND IN DOWNTOWN HARTFORD

Here's her recipe:

THE RATIGAN AND DEVINE'S IRISH SODA BREAD RECIPE

3 Cups sifted flour
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup shortening
1 1/2 Cups Buttermilk
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking soda
2 tablespoons Caraway seeds
1 teaspoon Salt
1 cup Raisins

Bake for one hour at 350 degrees

1 comment:

An Irish Colleen said...

I just love Irish Soda Bread! Thanks for posting the recipe and a Happy St. Patricks Day to you!