I received this message earlier today and it is perfect example of why people post anonymously. And yes, it was sent through a "real" e-mail address with a "real" name attached. If this doesn't make it clear why "Anonymous" is important, I'm not sure what will.
I am writing this letter under the name of "Anonymous" because I fear retaliation from my supervisors. Management, namely the Director of the Dispatch Center Andrew Jaffe will not do anything to protect me. The communications division was once a proud Department that served the residents of the City of Hartford. Now because of mismanagement it is one of the worst departments in city government.
- The dispatch Center has the highest "sick abuser" in City government
- There is no discipline for employee or supervisors
- Employees routinely "walk out" effectively abandoning their post leaving the center short staff impacting public and officer safety with no repercussion or discipline
- Supervisors threatening subordinates with physical harm, again with no repercussion or discipline
- Training is nonexistent. Only training is training that new hires get. No ongoing training to staff or supervisors. There is a training budget that goes largely unused. When used it's for the useless "Fred Prior"
- The Director routinely instructs the supervisor not to follow the "PD" policy and often gives instructions that conflict with the "PD's" policies
- The operations manager made it difficult for the supervisor's to supervise his "girlfriend". When this was brought to the attention of Director Andrew Jaffe, he took no action
- The operation manager does not manage the center schedule, training or administrative issues
- Calls for service not being entered or dispatched properly (Goodrich Street)
I could fill several pages with problems with the Public Safety Dispatch Center. Director Andrew Jaffe does not have the background, training or experience to run the center.
- His rank when he retired from the Police Department was Sergeant. He was primarily and administrative supervisor who never supervised more than two or three people
- Jaffe was able to compile a $90,000 plus pension without working one road job, bar job, concert, civic center concert, etc
- He earned his pension doing administrative duties. He is now making $130,000 as Director of the Dispatch center
- He is now the highest paid employee in the City. He does not live in the City and does not plan on moving here.
- He was and is a political appointee from the Eddie Perez regime
Director Andrew Jaffee lack of management background is the problem. Political appointees generally lacks the experience or training for the job that they are appointed to. In two years Director Jaffee will be eligible for the embers package ( life time paid medical) for mismanaging the Public Safety Dispatch Center
Postings like this may not portray the full picture, but it seems to at least identify a problem that helps point in the direction for more research. Do you think the "writer" would be welcomed with open arms by the Administration for identifying problems ?
As a sidenote, I have heard Mayor Segarra state in public on several occasions that as a condition of Jaffee's appointment, he agreed to move into Hartford within six months of his appointment. Mr. Mayor, has that happened?