Search This Blog

Monday, January 25, 2016

FINALLY , A PASSING GRADE FOR HARTFORD'S PLOWING EFFORTS

Hartford has traditionally been a snowplowing disaster.. It was so bad that during a Mayoral debate last summer , former Mayor Pedro Segarra blamed Hartford's dismal efforts on our suburban neighbors coming into Hartford and sweeping snow off their cars, blocking Hartford's streets.

Now I know Saturday's storm was small by many standards, but there was  so much different in the DPW efforts to clear Hartford's streets. I usually drive around once the snow stops to see what is going on in the City. I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of every street I drove down Sunday.

One of the big barometers I gauge by is how the streets are open. Typically, the streets are rarely plowed "curb to curb" meaning that the right lanes are usually left with a pile of snow taking up half of the travel lane Farmington Avenue is usually choked down to one open lane in each direction, bringing rush hour traffic to an impassable mess. Sunday morning the street  was open wide and the curbs were visible on  each side
Farmington Avenue in front of Saint Joseph's Cathedral, plowed curb to curb
 
New Park Avenue and just about every other street I drove down was plowed well and passable. For the first time I can recall, I couldn't tell where Hartford ended and West Hartford began. Usually I can tell when I have crossed into west Hartford because the plowing of their streets are pristine
New Park Avenue near Park Street looking South,. you can actually see the road
 
Therre just seemed to be a lot more co-ordination this time in the plowing efforts. It was comical though the numerous instructions being given to plow drivers over the DPW radio to plow Elm Street and be sure to put "plenty of material" down so that when the Mayor would look out the window of his home, he would see the results of their efforts. It might surprise them to know that I doubt the Mayor was sitting at home monitoring their efforts I think he was most likely out viewing their efforts first hand from every corner of the City. Its called management
 
I hope these efforts were not a one time occurrence and the next storm will show we do know how to do it right. We all have frequently bashed the DPW efforts over snow removal, but I think it is also important to let them know we appreciate it when they do it right.
 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The improvement was definitely noticeable, hopefully they keep it up

Anonymous said...

Your comment was right on - I live in the West End and usually there is a very noticeable difference between the roads east of Prospect (Hartford) and west of Prospect (West Hartford). For the first time ever in 20 years, this time there was no discernible difference. Small storm, but bodes well for future.

Anonymous said...

it was only 4 inches had it been a foot of snow I bet there efforts would had been terrible.

Anonymous said...

In addition to doing a better job than previous years, the parking ban - from 5PM to 9AM the following morning - was reasonable, gave hours to DPW to do their job and minimized the inconvenience to Hartford residents and visitors.

Anonymous said...

@ 9:23pm
Mother nature didn't drop any snow on one block in east side of Prospect, the 700 block, in previous years. Last weekend, that block saw some snow for the first time in years.

Anonymous said...

10:36 Who is the person you're referring to that mother nature skipped the snow in #700's Prospect

Anonymous said...

I too was pleased to find my residential street plowed 'close to the curb', since there were no cars on my street I would have thought it could have been plowed up to the curb, but I have been accused of having excessive expectations! Along this line why is Broad Street from Allan Pl. north to Capital avenue in such bad shape? I used it for it for well over 10 years - it horrible when I began using it and has only continued to deteriorate! Most third world countries have better pavement and it is time for the City to focus on making it better!!

Anonymous said...

At 6:08, I believe they're referring to Pedro Peter Caviar Maria Segarra on that block