CITY OF HARTFORD ANNOUNCES WARMING
FOR FEBRUARY 12-14, 2016
- NEWS AND COMMUNITY STATEMENT -
(February 11, 2016) - Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin has ordered the opening of the warming centers in the City of Hartford. The purpose for opening these centers shall be to provide temporary comfort during regular business hours. Any residents in need of overnight shelter accommodations are encouraged to call 2-1-1.
"With temperatures expected to be in the low 20s and high teens, and with high winds bringing the wind chill factor temperatures to the single digit range, I'm urging residents to take steps to stay indoors and prepare for extreme cold," said Mayor Bronin. "I've ordered the opening of our warming centers, which provide daytime options for residents. However, if you or anyone you know is in need of overnight arrangements, please reach out to our partners at 2-1-1."
During severe cold weather, residents should take the following precautions:
- Stay indoors if possible
- If you must go outside, wear several layers of loose-fitting, lightweight, warm clothing rather than one layer of heavy clothing. Wear a hat and change wet clothes frequently to prevent loss of body heat.
- Cover your mouth with a scarf to protect your lungs.
- Watch for signs of hypothermia: uncontrollable shivering, memory loss, disorientation, incoherence, slurred speech, drowsiness, and apparent exhaustion
- If symptoms of hypothermia are detected, get the victim to a warm location, remove wet clothing, warm the center of the body first and give warm, non-alcoholic beverages if the victim is conscious. Get medical help as soon as possible
List of Warming Centers:
- South End Wellness Center, 830 Maple Avenue: Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Parkville Senior Center, 11 New Park Avenue: Friday 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Hispanic Health Council, 175 Main Street: Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Hispanic Senior Center, 45 Wadsworth Street: Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Parker Memorial, 2621 Main Street: Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Pope Park, 30 Pope Park Drive: Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
The Hartford Public Library is available for residents and visitors. Below are hours of operation.
- Hartford Downtown Library, 500 Main Street: Friday and Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and Sunday 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Albany Library Branch, 1250 Albany Avenue: Friday and Saturday 12:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Barbour Branch, 281 Barbour Street: Friday and Saturday 12:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Camp Field Branch, 30 Campfield Avenue: Friday and Saturday 12:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Dwight Branch, 7 New Park Avenue: Friday 12:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Goodwin, 460 New Britain Avenue: Friday and Saturday 12:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Mark Twain Branch, 55 Forest Street: Friday 12:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. and Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Park Street Branch, 744 Park Street: Friday 12:30pm - 5:00pm
- SAND/Ropkins Branch, 1750 Main Street: Friday 12:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.