Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

IT WILL BE BACK



This is not my typical posting.

I have never given much thought to Paris's Notre Dame Cathedral until I saw it engulfed in fire yesterday. I guess it is true what they say, "We don't realize what we have until it is gone." As I watched the news coverage into the night, I along with most people observing probably thought there was no way any of it would survive. In the end, it was not gone, but severely damaged

As I wondered how they would ever rebuild the Cathedral if some of it did survive, I began to start wondering what type of craftsmen could have built this colossal cathedral hundreds of years ago. I am sure that type of craftsmen do not exist or are even trained in the various arts these days.

How many lives were lost working at such heights with very primitive safety equipment and regulations compared to today. The heights alone must have been a challenge without our modern day scaffolding and harnesses.No hydraulic cranes or loaders or forklifts. Real craftsmen using hand tools and techniques passed down through families, from grandfathers to fathers to sons for centuries to create such a masterpiece.

Just imagine the detail in the stone carving, the  statues, the gargoyles that serve as drain spots, the magnificent stained glass lead windows. Al the stones lifted into place without machinery, just men and ropes and pulleys. Not to mention the architectural designs without any computer assistance

I haven't heard anything specific yet, but it will probably be a modern day craftsman that set the building on fire using a modern day torch or cutting tool on the renovations.

A couple of videos below explain more of the history and majesty of Notre Dame Cathedral that I found interesting.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You more comcerned about churches burning abroad then the ones burning right here in America eh? Interesting. Maybe the French need to give Haiti the reparations they deserve and get their karma sorry but this post gets no sympathy from me!!!!