Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 7, 2019

HOW ABOUT A REGULAR HANDICAP PARKING ENFORCEMENT CAMPAIGN?


The Hartford Police Department has been doing a great job lately enforcing traffic laws. The Traffic Division is issuing record numbers of citations and making contacts with drivers across the City.

 Whether it is for distracted driving, seat belt checkpoints, DUI arrests or just poor driving habits, the numbers are way up. I think though , that there is one area that needs some additional attention, Handicapped Parking Permit abuse.

Many people think nothing of using a hang tag from a seas relative or using a tag from someone else even when they aren't in the vehicle. The State of Connecticut has made it a little tougher  now that tags can be individually tracked with an ID number on them, but that requires a Police Officer to actually take the time to check that the tag is with the actual owner.CONNECTICUT NO LONGER ISSUES "LIFETIME" TAGS., THEY MUST ALL BE RENEWED PERIODICALLY NOW.

 Just drive into the Walmart lot and see how many people think nothing of using a Handicapped parking space for their own premium parking space. And it is not just Walmart, it happens across the City, everyday by selfish people who don't think that may be taking up a valuable spot for someone that just might really need the space.

I have personally observed Handicap Parking violations by everyone from a State Representative, legislative plates and all, clearly abusing a Handicapped Parking space, a Police Officer in a Handicapped Parking space in front of City Hall because  "he was just running in quick to pay his taxes" and a UPS truck delivering packages to a Medical Office building. What possible need could there be for someone using  a Handicap space at a doctor's office?


I think it might be time to send a message with a  focused effort on Handicap Parking violations campaign, similar to what is done for distracted driving regularly. Handicapped parking rules are in place for some of our most vulnerable members of our communities and HPD could send a clear message that enforcement is a priority. Even one day quarterly would make a difference and increase awareness.

And yes, in full disclosure, after my third stroke I did get a Handicap parking permit and I fully understand the need for the tags as well as the abuses.

THE HANDICAP PARKING ABUSE WALL OF SHAME


UPS driver in a Handicapped space
Staet Representative getting his Dunkin Donuts "fix" in a Handicap space ( no permit)
HPD Officer running in to City Hall to pay taxes parked in a Handicap spot (He no longer works here)


Here are some video's of what other Cities are doing

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

While your at it, get the ‘Fire Lane’ abusers who park their asses in the lane while the shopping gets done.

RB said...

I have a legitimate, up to date Handicap placard.
I had gone to a grocery store & parked a few spaces away from an open handicap space.
For me, some days are better than others. On bad days, I'll take the "H" spot. On not so bad days, I'll leave it open for someone that really needs it.

As an aside, I remember many years ago, there was a young woman with a placard who took the same handicap spot everyday. One morning while waiting in the lobby for the elevator, I overheard her tell a co-worker how tired she was, had stayed at the Club dancing 'till 4 AM.

KEVIN BROOKMAN said...

I agree with you, many times I will walk when I'm having a good day and other times the space makes all the difference. It is extremely aggravating when I see someone I know abusing the Handicap space with their sense of entitlement

Anonymous said...

I never ever ever take a handicap spot. On the other hand, privileged “Vet” spaces and Stop & Shop pick up spaces, forgetaboutit. I take the space any day of the week.

RB said...

I don't know how it could be done, but I think some oversight of Doctors who sign off on these requests is warranted.

Anonymous said...

Us officers that work the Walmart on a consistent basis when time permits will usually walk the parking lot and check the placards in the handicapped parking spaces. I have personally pulled 13 to 15 each time I do it an issue plenty of tickets. Every time I do it I get yelled at and screamed at and called racist names and told that they are handicapped you just can't see it but I will run the tag and they're usually expired by many years. People take their dead family members placards and use it for themselves. People will have tags that belong to a family member or they are a caretaker of somebody but the person is not in the car with them and they're not allowed to use the placard. I love taking them and return them to DMV. But it definitely grates my nerves to be yelled at for doing my job. People should be policing them themselves. Us cops can't win.

KEVIN BROOKMAN said...

Thank you for your efforts

Anonymous said...

Wanna make money for city hall Hartford??? Go look at the fire lane in front of Hartford Wal-Mart. Its filled with cars from east entrance to the west entrance everyday every minute.