Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

IS IT TOO EARLY FOR "I TOLD YOU SO" ?




The Hartford Courant is reporting that the Market at Hartford 21 is having problems and once again cutting back their hours. Here is a link to their story

I don't think anyone will argue with the need for a downtown market if we are going to provide basic conveniences to attract downtown residents. The problem arises though in how it is operated.

I don't think it made sense for the city to throw $300,000 at a couple that was familiar with the restaurant business, but not the grocery business. The key to that operation is to attract the people through the door and then have them buy something, not walk away because the prices are too high.

I recall the first time I went in the Market, I was surprised by their extremely high prices. I usually shop at Stew Leonard's in Newington so I am used to paying a little more for quality. At least at Stew Leonard's though when you pay a little more, the freshness and quality is there.

My first trip into the Market at Hartford 21 I looked at the produce and was turned off by the moldy strawberries in the produce case and although the cuts of meat probably were great when they were fresh, they were beginning to get a tint to them that wasn't calling out for a steak on the grill.

Like I said, the secret to an operation like that is volume. If you don't have customers coming through the door, the inventory isn't moving as quickly as it should, and the proprietor's don't make any money on products they throw out when they pass their shelf life.

The other problem is quantity purchases. One of the first things I noticed was the "RAO's Pasta Sauce" at the Market. Like I said, I'm used to paying more at Stew Leonard's and I'm willing to pay the $4.99 a jar they charge. The same item at the Market was $9.99 a jar. Stew Leonard's probably buys pallets, if not a truckload of the sauce, where as the Market may buy a case or two.

The market at Hartford 21, as a single location store, charges what they have to charge to make a profit, and probably a very small profit per unit at that.

I wish that the Market can make it, but empty shelves and constant cut backs of hours doesn't paint an optimistic picture. Maybe a store like Stew Leonard's might be interested in a location in downtown Hartford for a "Stew Leonard's Express". Although the sandwiches and baked goods at the Market were good, Stew Leonard's has a reputation that is part good food and groceries and part entertainment.

Although nothing is 100%, I would think Stew Leonard's could create a snowball effect in economic development for downtown. I think the message that Stew Leonard's is willing to take a chance on Hartford would draw others in as well. And before you think I'm crazy that Stew Leonard's would want anything in Hartford, I have been told by the Redevelopment Commission Chairperson Sean Arena that the discussions, although informal, had taken place previously before the Market was given the lease and the City's loan of $300,000 to start up.

Maybe this time, if the Market doesn't make it, Stew Leonard's should be approached with the goal on the part of the City of making it happen.

7 comments:

stealy said...

Nice post. I agree 100% with your assessment.

Suzanne Hopgood said...

Having done re-structurings for 25 years, I have watched them going through the learning curve and now re-structuring. They're doing what they should be in an orderly fashion. I totally disagree with the comments about restaurant owners since Northland built out the space to be a major prepared food operation, which grocery store operators could not manage. Their sensible re-structuring speaks well of their future.

Anonymous said...

Brookman,

FOI

everything associated with this $300,000 sandwich, and I'm sure everyone will be surprise after the primary.

SHopgood u are wrong - The "I Don't Know what it is " at H21 will be DOA by Halloween

Moldy street hot dog said...

That store will be closed by end of uconn season i also went in there to buy a-1 steak sauce. They had nothing

Anonymous said...

Maybe the city should hire more hot dog vendors who smell and have less teeth then a new born. By the way. Where is this rudiwitz report ? Im sure the judge in the robles case will be aaking tom ....

Anonymous said...

So Similar:

Local Politicians and COO wasting your tax dollars on stupid pathetic non practical ideas... The FBI should should pay a local visit...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/278999/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-that-custom-tailored-obama-scandal-you-ordered-is-finally-here

Anonymous said...

Brookman,

according to a 9/19 Courant story Pedro and Panagore dropped an additional $100,000 to this dark hole latrine, while small businesses through the city are getting FKed with taxes and no loans.

FOI this Sh.T

P.S.:

Ask about that, Ryan and Kelleanne Jones, Honolulu Vacation.