Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

E-MAILS LIKE THIS MAKE PEOPLE LIKE JOHN ROSE WORTH THE FIGHT

Some days I wonder why I stay in Hartford. Some days I wonder if all the aggravation is worth it. Then, I think about Hartford's people, its neighborhoods, its strengths and its potential.

And on those days when I'm re-thinking my commitment to be a part of change in this potentially great city, I get an e-mail like the one below.

This e-mail shows the potential of Hartford's people, but also shows the desperation. It shows that people care about the city, but are also scared by its lack of leadership and vision.

I have edited out certain details that potentially might identify the sender, but you'll get the message. In the meantime, I hope that they might see some positive change and re-consider their exit from our potentially great city.

The e-mail is from someone that, to the best of my knowledge, I have never met.

To: krbrookman@earthlink.net
Subject: Thanks for your work
Date: Jan 12, 2010 1:27 PM

Hey Kevin,
\
I'm glad someone is on our side.

I'm a relatively new resident in Hartford My wife and I moved here in Early 200* from *********. We haven't lived here long enough to know much about local Hartford politics but I've seen enough already. It scares me! The vehicle tax is infuriating! The property tax on our home went from $7,300 in 200* when we signed on it to $8900 in 2009....with more increases to come.

It is clear that the local tax rates deters young hard-working middle class couples like us from living here. I've written letters to the mayor and council members but no one seems to understand or care. I've only had one response which was a call from ***************. I guess they don't want people like us here.

It all scares me. I invested too much into my home to watch my property-value decline because of rapidly increasing taxes. My wife and I have decided to put the house on the market next spring and get out of here if/while we can. Hopefully it will sell at a decent price and we'll move back to ***********...ironically, in search of lower property taxes. It's disappointing because we like the people we've met here and love our home.

Looking forward to reading your updates. Let us know if we can get involved.

Best Regards,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kevin, Unfortuntely for the writer of the email, Hartford City Hall cares more about fighting cases they shouldn't. Sounds like Griswold (I think that's the town) where a wrongly fired town employee, Ms. Charron won a HUGE settlement after the town appealed several times. I'm not sure of the exact amounts but I believe several years ago she was willing to settle in the low six figures and I think she won the final appeal (town refused to settle) for over 3 million. They just recently finally voted to pay the woman. Town residents had wanted, and I believe even voted in a non-binding referendum to settle the suit. Hartfords "leaders" and I use that term very loosely, don't care about the costs as they spread it out over the taxpayers. The "leaders" will probably leave Hartford shortly after the residents wise up and stop electing them. These FOI complaints that balloon from 27.50 to 1,000's of dollars will pale in comparison to Deputy Fire Chief Nolan's win, and no doubt the city will fight that one to the bitter end, at GREAT cost to the city.