Search This Blog

Saturday, January 16, 2010

MATTHEW SECORE SPEAKS OUT

Some might wonder why the City of Hartford and Hartford Corporation Counsel John Rose are fighting so hard to keep from releasing documents related to the case of Hartford Police Officer Matthew Secore.

Over the next few days I will be posting some of the documents I have obtained in regards to this case. None of the documents, not even one piece of paper have come from the City of Hartford though.

On the face value the case seems pretty simple, Secore was terminated after an Internal Affairs Investigation was completed in which Secore was accused of punching Ruben Perez. Ruben Perez is the nephew of Hartford Mayor Eddie A. Perez. Ruben Perez had been arrested after a brutal beating of Officer Secore's younger brother, Slade Secore.

After reading the Labor Board decision, you might think differently about the facts and circumstances surrounding the case. The IAD report also raises some questions about Ruben Perez and his statement. Was it coached? Are the words really those of Ruben Perez? Is Secore totally responsible or was it a breakdown of an entire system?

Matthew Secore commented yesterday here on "We the People". For those who didn't read his comments, they are posted below. I have confirmed that the comments are in fact posted by Matthew Secore.

Matthew Secore's comments:
Greetings Mr Brookman,

It comes as no surprise to me that the city of Hartford would not want you to know the details of my case. Therefore, I would like to take this opportunity to try and answer your questions.

Yes I was reinstated through the process of legal arbitration, agreed upon through the City of Hartford and the Hartford Police Union. However, the city has appealed my award to the superior court. They have every right to appeal but based on what my lawyers are telling me an arbitration award is legally binding and can only be successfully appealed on the grounds of fowl play or a violation of public trust laws. Since my award was not won through any illegal means and I was not found to be a thief or dishonest, the city is fighting a case they are not likely to win. In fact, based on multiple conversations with various lawyers, I'm very comfortable in saying they will not win. So the question becomes, why would the city spend money and resources on a case they are not likely to win? Maybe I can shed some light on that.

Recently I've been issued a civil lawsuit from Ruben Perez, Eddie Perez's nephew. What's interesting is Ruben Perez is suing me on an individual capacity and is NOT suing the City of Hartford. All civil lawsuits are about money, so why sue an individual with limited funds over a government? I guess money isn't his goal in this. Regardless, the case will most likely be settled out of court by the City of Hartford anyway.

I'm not looking for sympathy for I take full responsibility for my actions. My concern comes from one of being a public servant to the tax payers of Hartford. As of this month the city of Hartford owes me over $100,000 in back pay, this does not include vacation time, paid holidays and such. This amount just keeps climbing each week. Also, in about one year my police certification will expire. Per CT state law if it expires and I do not receive a waiver the city of Hartford will have to send me through the police academy again. It's estimated the police academy cost the city $50,000 for each recruit, but mine will cost more because I will be getting paid at the top of my pay scale during that time. I can only speculate on the man hours Hartford has spent on my case but as you can see by how they are fighting your FOI request, your money is no object to them.

Mr. Brookman, I can't answer your second two questions about why the city has not reinstated me yet or what role Eddie Perez played in my discipline. At least not to the level of proof you are accustomed to. What I can give you is my opinion based on the unusual choices and small nuances of how my case was and is being handled by the City of Hartford. I feel the reason the city has not reinstated me and has elected to continue it's losing battle is because Mayor Perez cares more about his personal agenda then he does the tax payers who elected him to be their Mayor.

I look forward to serving the City of Hartford again in the near future,

- Matthew Secore

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I no longer live in Hartford. I wonder if the tax cheats you recently reported on are just too ticked off to be paying for these ridiculous fights.

KEVIN BROOKMAN said...

Unfortunately the "tax cheats" aren't paying their share, at least not in Hartford. Maybe New Canaan has a much better attorney due their contributions down there. If they were paying in Hartford , maybe we could afford a real attorney

Natalie said...

I hope that Officer Secore's brother is suing Ruben Perez. I have been following officer Secore's case for some time and want him to know he has a lot of support. I hope Kevin, that you were able to access a copy of the Labor Board decision on this case because I would love to see it posted on your blog.

Matt said...

Yes my brother and the other tow truck driver are suing Ruben Perez. Two years ago when this happened I reached out to the Mayor but he refused to talk to me. He opted to have a long drawn out legal war instead. I take no pleasure in this but they forced our hand. I too will be suing the city once I return to work for lost promotional opportunities and medical expenses I'v been out due to not having medical insurance these last two years. Sadly this has become a very expensive battle to the tax payers of Hartford. I will be following Kevin's posting's on my case closely because I'm sure I will have a lot to add that never came out publicly. Thank you Natalie for your support.

ralph said...

Thanks, Kevin, for your work on this. It would seem to me that a newspaper might have some interest, but apparently not the Courant. I've had my problems with our cops, but mainly when I felt they weren't doing enough. When it comes to the cops vs. the bad guys there's no contest. We have to be grateful to the guys/gals who are on the streets providing facsimile of order. Good luck to Officer Secore, and (wishfully thinking) good riddance to our doubly indicted mayor.

Anonymous said...

Officer Secore,

I do not know you, but I have watched incredulously as the events of your case have unfolded. This is just one more example of how warped the City of Hartford is. When in the world are we going to start backing faithful public servants and stop supporting law-breaking scumbags like Perez and family? I wish you the best of luck. May you get all that is coming to you and more.

Anonymous said...

I talked to Officer Secore just before this incident occurred about a problem on in the area that he was walking a beat (South End). I was so happy to have a responsive, helpful policeman who cared about the Hartford residents. We really miss him and hope he will return soon. Unfortunately, but not suprisingly, the problem is pretty much still here, too.
Hurry back.